In short, we have expert knowledge, we give unbiased advice, our technology is second to none and we have great attention to detail. It's the Symmetry difference.
Ashmore, Queensland JVA Registered Valuer ®
Symmetry principal Kym Hughes is one of Australia's most experienced jewellery valuers with specialist knowledge in all areas of gem and jewellery valuation including watches.
As president of the peak industry body, the National Council of Jewellery Valuers (NCJV), Kym is at the forefront of setting standards in this demanding and highly technical profession.
Kym Hughes has more than 30 years' experience in the industry and regularly undertakes professional development to keep up-to-date with current best practice. Her training and qualifications include:
- Diploma in Gemmology, FGA (UK)
- Diploma in Gemmology, FGAA (Australia)
- Diploma in diamond technology, DipDT (Australia)
- Certified diamond grader HRD (Antwerp)
- Certificate in diamond grading (Australia)
- Workshop in synthetic, imitations, treated and fancy colour diamonds HRD (Antwerp)
- Diploma of applied gemmology (valuation), DipVal (Australia)
- Workshop in jade (Singapore Polytechnic and Far East Gem Institute)
- Workshop in FTIR and UV-Vis Spectroscopy (Switzerland)
Proud member of the following industry associations:
- National Council of Jewellery Valuers (NCJV)
- The Jewellery Valuers Association
- Gemmological Association of Australia
- Gemmological Association of Great Britain
- Association of Independent Jewellery Valuers
As a registered member of the NCJV, Symmetry is bound by a code of ethics that protects the customer and upholds high quality standards.
Symmetry is fully independent, we do not trade in jewellery or have corporate alliances with other companies such as insurance organisations.
For customers, this is an important point of difference. It means that we have no conflict of interest and work solely with you to deliver accurate, unprejudiced valuations.
Spectra Gem Laboratory
Our sister company Spectra Gem Laboratory is one of the best equipped in Australia, using the very latest infrared and ultraviolet spectroscopy and a powerful binocular microscope. The equipment can detect synthetic and treatments often missed by standard gemmological equipment used by other gemmologists and gem laboratories in Australia. This is a key advantage because sophisticated manufacturing and treatment processes are making it far harder to identify synthetic and gemstone treatments.
All valuations are completed via appointment in secure premises at Ashmore. Please call the office to arrange a suitable time.